vendredi 22 avril 2011

The second half of my vacation will consist of going to Le Faouët, which is located in the department of Morbihan (still in Bretagne).



I'm still not entirely sure of what I'll be seeing, other than La Chappelle Sainte Barbe:
La chapelle Sainte-Barbe.

....but I've heard that it's 10 times more beautiful than St. Nazaire, which is where I went last weekend.

St. Nazaire is a major harbor right at the banks of the estuary (the point where the Loire River and the Atlantic Ocean meet).


I noticed that the city has a huge shipbuilding and fishing industry.

File:ChantiersAtlantique.jpg

We walked along the beach for a while (it was a really nice day) and buried our feet in the sand. The water was cold; everyone assured me the water was going to stay that temperature in the summer as well, so I'd better get used to it.

File:Front de mer st-nazaire.JPG
After walking along the beach, we visited a WWII  German U boat bunker. It was made of incredibly thick concrete, supposedly to resist all bombardements. It was creepy to walk around in, as it was eerily silent and cold in the bunker!

I had noted that the city had some pretty modern-looking architecture (don't get me wrong, I am no architecture expert, but everything just looked.....newer), and that's when I was told that the city was rebuilt after the war. So aside from the bunker I went into, there isn't much history to the city, but a ton of industry.
File:Base ssmarin stnazaire.jpg

I will update again soon with Douarnenez and La Faouët!

Disclaimer: My camera broke a while ago, so for the moment I'm relying on pictures found on the internet.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire