mercredi 13 avril 2011

My next vacation is in 2 weeks, and I am heading off to explore Bretagne, the region of which Nantes used to be the capital (known as Naoned in the Breton language). This place seems like a country apart from France, where cidre brut (cider), kouign amman (already talked about this in an earlier post I think-- kind of a French version of baklava), lait ribot (sour milk -- it's an acquired taste, but I really like it), moules frites (mussels) are the common items being consumed here. The local language, Breton, can be compared to the Irish language in Ireland; that is to say, no one speaks it anymore and it's a dying language. But there are still some old people who speak it, and the kids are starting to learn it again in schools. There is a huge marine culture in this area, since it is on the Atlantic coast. Every Breton I have met (and there are many in Nantes), knows how to swim, likes to eat seafood, and knows all the parts of a boat. The stereotypical Breton likes beer, puts ungodly quantities of butter on everything (à la Paula Deen), has a really quick temper, and considers 60°F water really warm (by the way, it's REALLY NOT!) Anyway, I will find out in two weeks' time if any of these stereotypes are true (so far, I only know for sure that the butter stereotype is true) when I go to Douarnenez, in the department called Finistère.


If that didn't make sense......

Douarnenez



is in the department of Finistère....

which is in the region of Bretagne....



which is the westernmost part of France.

much like

Nantes.....



is in the deparment of Loire Atlantique....


which is in the region of Pays-de-la-Loire....


which is juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust east of Bretagne.




So, until then, I bid you all kenavo! (Breton for "au revoir").

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire