lundi 29 août 2011

Reverse Culture Shock

I landed in Richmond on August 23rd, two days before classes were to start up again. I purposely chose this plane ticket because I was afraid that if I had too much free time at home, I would get sad and think about France too much. I was right. So far, I have not had time to think about what I've left behind because my days have been so full of administrative to-do lists and visiting friends that I haven't seen in a year. But sometimes, when I have a moment to myself (however brief those may be), I feel little twinges of sadness. It's always little things that trigger it. For example, I have not driven a car since August 26, 2010 (I don't know why I remember this but I do). On August 26, 2011, I drove a car for the first time in a year. I drove pretty slowly and carefully since it had been so long, but it was still very sad to think about how my tram pass is no longer of use. Eating lunch made me sad, too--a mediocre baguette here cost $2, whereas I could have gotten a really good one for 0,85€ in Nantes! Speaking English again made me sad-- the first few days, I heard a lot of comments about my "accent" (basically, I had gotten used to speaking slowly and clearly in English for the non-native speakers). I also used a lot of false cognates: "I need to retire some liquid!" (retirer= withdraw, liquide= cash); "I have to assist this class" (assister= to attend). There are countless other examples of funny/awkward moments where I am trying to readjust. The sadness has not yet taken over (and I hope it never does), and it never took over in Nantes, either. I could get really lucky and not feel sad at all. For the moment, I know that I really miss my life in Nantes and that the only way to deal with this is either to go back there immediately, or to try and bring some elements of Nantes back to Richmond. I will definitely go back, there is no question about it....but at this time, I am going to start by bringing back elements of Nantes to Richmond. When I left Richmond, the mantra I kept repeating in my head was, "Here is not there." Now, the mantra I have to repeat in my head will be "I am here but I will return there soon." It is certainly a strange thing to be saying, but right now the only thing that seems to comfort me is the possibility of returning, the chance to keep Nantes in my life forever.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire