I wanted to add 2 things (mostly to yesterday's post).
First of all, I realized that I spent a lot of blog posts complaining about how I need to work out and talking about exercise a lot. It doesn't seem like a good thing to talk about for a study abroad blog. However, in doing a bit of research on culture shock, I found this:
"After some time (usually three months but sometimes sooner or later, depending on the individual), differences between the old and new culture become apparent and may create anxiety. Excitement may eventually give way to new and unpleasant feelings of frustration and anger as one continues to have unfavorable events that may be perceived as strange and offensive of one's cultural sensitivity. Language barrier, stark differences in public hygiene, traffic safety, food accessibility and quality may heighten the sense of disconnection from the surroundings"
I think that feelings of unhealthiness related to a completely different gym culture might qualify as heightening my sense of disconnection..... so the gym thing is in fact completely relevant! I suppose this is my little form of culture shock.....
The second thing I wanted to add was that I finally sucked it up and decided to start working out again. I went to the Gym Tonic class that I thought was too easy back in August. Now, though, I am so out of shape that I found it difficult to catch my breath. So I finally get the challenge I wanted. All I had to do was gorge myself on Kouign Amman for a couple of months and take the tram everywhere instead of walking...... I guess it has to get worse before getting better....
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire