mercredi 9 mars 2011

Italy and Malta

For my February vacation, I decided to take a little break from being in France; the last time I had left was to go to Ireland in October. Since it is Carnevale time, I figured I would go somewhere that would have awesome celebrations. I ended up in Venice for a few days, followed by a few days in Malta.
Sweets shop in Venice

View of the streets of Venice near our hostel
If you didn't have a mask, fear not! They are everywhere!
I saw a lot of these people walking around before Carnevale.
Inside of Basilica di San Marco
Glass-blown souvenirs-- I had to resist buying everything!
Fruit market in Venice!

After Venice, we took a Ryanair flight to Malta

View from the roof of the hotel-- Grand Harbor
From left to right: Me, Sylvia (from Montana), Lynn (from California)
A luzzu-- fisherman's boat (sorry, I can't figure out how to turn the pictures properly)
Pretty much an accurate description of how one sees Carnevale-- just a blur of colors everywhere!
Here is a sign in Maltese; I understood EVERYHING except the word "Stenna", but I was able to figure out its meaning from context clues (Stenna wara l-linja s-safra= (Stand) behind the yellow line)! I didn't even know I knew Maltese! Cool, huh?

Anyway, I highly recommend Malta for those who want to travel, but save money. Also, Arabic speakers and Italian speakers will half-understand the Maltese language and English is the other official language. So getting around is easy. The bus fare is incredibly cheap, only 0,47€ to go anywhere! Venice was beautiful, but I was unfortunate enough to fall into many tourist traps, so I am a bit bitter about spending so much money there. Malta is a mixture of Marseille, Beirut, and Italy! Definitely worth seeing, especially during Carnevale!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire